Top Tips for Good Dental Care
Your dental health is in your hands, so you need to practice good oral hygiene every single day. To keep your smile healthy at home, use these helpful dental care hints.
Prevent the Problem of Plaque
Plaque is a sticky substance that builds up on teeth after having sugary and starchy foods and beverages. It’s filled with bacteria that can cause tooth decay, gum disease, sensitivity, and other dental care problems. In addition to getting regular check-ups and cleanings from an affordable dentist, the most effective ways to get rid of plaque are by brushing and flossing each day.
Brush Up on Brushing
Brushing scrubs away plaque from the surfaces of teeth. But not everyone brushes well enough to prevent plaque from forming. To get rid of plaque and the problems it causes, the best dentist will recommend these better brushing techniques:
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush.
- Choose a toothpaste containing fluoride to help protect your teeth from decay.
- Position the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle against your gums.
- Move the brush in a gentle, back-and-forth motion.
- Brush the outside, inside, and chewing surfaces of teeth.
- Also brush your tongue to clean away any built-up bacteria and freshen your breath.
Fine Tune Your Flossing
Brushing is one part of fighting plaque, but the other dental care essential is flossing. Flossing removes the food particles trapped between teeth, which can cause plague and lead to gum disease. Rather than spend time and money treating problems with an affordable dentist, prevent dental care problems by flossing once a day in the following way:
- Pull off around 18 inches of floss and wrap it around each hand, holding it between your thumbs and forefingers.
- Gently glide the floss between your teeth with a gentle, back-and-forth motion.
- Hold the floss firmly against each tooth as you go.
- Curve the floss against the tooth when it reaches the gum line.
- Then guide the floss away from the gum with short, up-and-down motions.
- Repeat on every tooth with a fresh section of floss.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Shelby Township, call Gentle Dental of Shelby Township today at (248) 721-4086 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Shelby Township. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Shelby Township, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Shelby Township.