Tips for Teaching Your Children How to Floss
Flossing should be part of every child’s daily oral health routine. It removes food and plaque that a toothbrush can’t reach. As soon as two teeth touch each other, it’s time to start cleaning between them. Your kids may need your help at first, but when they are coordinated enough, they can start flossing on their own. Here are a few tips for teaching your kids how to floss teeth properly.
Flossing Tips for Beginners
- Choose a dental floss that is soft and gentle. It should not irritate or damage delicate gums.
- Remove about 18 inches of floss from the roll. This is approximately equal to the length between your fingertips and your elbow.
- Wrap the majority of its length around a finger on one of your child’s hands. Wind the remaining length around the same finger on the opposite hand. This finger will collect the dirty, used floss.
- Be sure the floss is held taut, but don’t wind it too tight. If fingertips turn blue or purple, immediately release the floss.
- Show your child how to slide the floss between teeth with a gentle, back-and-forth rubbing motion.
- As the floss gets closer to the gum line, show your child how to curve it into a C shape and slide it into the area just beneath the gum.
- When advancing to the next space, obtain a clean portion of floss.
- Repeat the procedure with every tooth.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Shelby Township, call Gentle Dental of Shelby Township today at (248) 721-4086 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Shelby Township. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Shelby Township, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Shelby Township.