7 Teeth Whitening Questions and Answers
Professional teeth whitening can restore stained teeth to their former glory. If you’re considering an in-office whitening treatment, you may have many questions about the efficacy and safety of the treatment. The answers below may help you understand the process, and help determine the best teeth whitening procedure for your needs.
- Does Stain Color Affect the Results of Whitening Procedures? Stain color does affect results. Yellow teeth respond best to bleaching. Brown stains are more difficult, and gray or purple stains may not respond at all or may take longer to resolve. Many factors affect whitening results, including tooth health, stain type, bleach concentration used, and treatment duration.
- Are Touch-Ups Required Often? Your results may fade quickly if you consume stain-causing foods and beverages. If you avoid them, or maintain your results with at-home products, your results may last up to a year before you need a touch-up.
- Are Teeth Whitening Products Safe and Effective? Bleaching products sold through dentists’ offices and professional in-office systems have received the ADA Seal of Acceptance, which designates them as both safe and effective. With the exception of several whitening toothpastes, over-the-counter teeth whitening treatments have not received the Seal of Acceptance.
- Do Teeth Bleaching Products Harm Tooth Enamel? According to studies, a 10% concentration of peroxide has little or no effect on the mineral content or hardness of tooth enamel.
- Does Teeth Whitening Carry Risks? Even the best teeth whitening procedures may cause minor side effects. The most common are tooth sensitivity and irritation of the soft tissues inside your mouth. Both symptoms disappear quickly. If they are severe, your dentist in Shelby Township may be able to help relieve your discomfort.
- Does Whitening Damage a Tooth’s Nerve? No evidence of damage to a tooth’s nerve by teeth bleaching agents has ever been found.
- Do Teeth Whitening Procedures Damage Existing Restorations? Teeth bleaching products have not produced any damage to fillings or other restorations. However, tooth-colored crowns, veneers, and bridges are not lightened during a tooth whitening procedure, so they may no longer match natural teeth that have been lightened.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Shelby Township, call Gentle Dental of Shelby Township today at (248) 721-4086 or make an appointment.
Gentle Dental offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Shelby Township. With 8 affiliated practices throughout Michigan, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Gentle Dental of Shelby Township, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Gentle Dental of Shelby Township.